Why do the christians believe that Jesus is god not a Messenger?
Another excellent question. I’ll do my best to answer it for you.
First let’s look at how the Qur’an talks about Jesus.
- According to the Qur’an, ‘Isa was the Messiah. He was supported by the ‘Holy Spirit’. (Al-Baqarah 2:87; Al-Ma’idah 5:110) He is also referred to as the ‘Word of Allah’. (An-Nisa’ 4:171)
- ‘Isa’s mother Mariam was the daughter of ‘Imran, (Âl ‘Imran 3:34,35) — cf the Amram of Exodus 6:20 — and the sister of Aaron (and Moses). (Maryam 19:28) She was fostered by Zachariah (father of John the Baptist). (Âl ‘Imran 3:36) While still a virgin (Al-An’am 6:12; Maryam 19:19-21) Mariam gave birth to ‘Isa alone in a desolate place under a date palm tree. (Maryam 19:22ff) (Not in Bethlehem).
- ‘Isa spoke whilst still a baby in his cradle. (Âl ‘Imran 3:46; Al-Ma’idah 5:110; Maryam 19:30) He performed various other miracles, including breathing life into clay birds, healing the blind and lepers, and raising the dead. (Âl ‘Imran 3:49; Al-Ma’idah 5:111) He also foretold the coming of Muhammad. (As-Saff 61:6)
How does the Bible record what Jesus said about himself?
- Jesus never said clearly in so many words, “I am God!” But He did say it indirectly:
“At this the Jews began to grumble about him because he said, ‘I am the bread that came down from heaven.’ They said, ‘Is this not Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How can he now say, “I came down from heaven”?’” (John 6:41,42)
“‘I tell you the truth,’ Jesus answered, ‘before Abraham was born, I am!’ At this, they picked up stones to stone him…” (John 8:58)
“I am” is the name God revealed to Moses at the burning bush. The Jews knew what He was saying, that’s why they wanted to stone him.
- Jesus never stood in the open market declaring publicly, “I am the Messiah!” He did say it privately to the Samaritan woman, and He did not deny it when the Jews demanded He declare whether or not He was the Messiah:
“The woman said, ‘I know that Messiah (called Christ) is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.’ Then Jesus declared, ‘I who speak to you am he.’” (John 4:25,26)
“The high priest said to him, ‘I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God.’ ‘Yes, it is as you say,’ Jesus replied.” (Matthew 26:63,64)
- Jesus almost never called Himself a prophet. Here is the one time mentioned:
“And they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, ‘Only in his hometown and in his own house is a prophet without honor.’ And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.” (Matthew 13:56-58)
- Jesus very seldom called Himself “the Son of God.” He did not deny it when the Jews demanded that He say clearly whether or not He was the Son of God:
“‘If you are the Christ,’ they said, ‘Tell us.’ Jesus answered, ‘If I tell you, you will not believe me, and if I asked you, you would not answer. But from now on, the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand of the mighty God.’ They all asked, ‘Are you then the Son of God?’ He replied, ‘You are right in saying I am.’” (Luke 22:67-70).
- Many people spoke to Jesus calling Him the “Son of God” and He never denied it. Here are a few examples:
“‘He saved others,’ they said, ‘but he can’t save himself! He’s the King of Israel! Let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him. He trusts in God. Let God rescue him now if he wants him, for he said, “I am the Son of God.”’” (Matthew 27:42,43)
“And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, ‘Truly you are the Son of God.’” (Matthew 14:32,33)
“When he saw Jesus, he cried out and fell at his feet, shouting at the top of his voice, ‘What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg you, don’t torture me!’ For Jesus had commanded the evil spirit to come out of the man.” (Luke 8:28,29)
- Jesus certainly implied He was the Son of God by repeatedly calling God His “Father” –117 times are recorded in the New Testament.
Jesus refused to prove His identity when He was challenged to do so:
- By Satan:
“If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread … If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down …” (Matthew 4:3,6)
- By the common people:
“Those who passed by hurled insults at him, shaking their heads and saying, ‘… Save yourself! Come down from the cross, if you are the Son of God.’” (Matt. 27:39,40)
- By the chief priests, teachers and elders:
“He saved others, but he can’t save himself! He’s the King of Israel! Let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him … for he said, ‘I am the Son of God.’” (Matthew 39:41-43)
Because God has to reveal who Jesus is to you. He did it for Simon Peter.
“Simon Peter replied, ‘You are the Christ, the Son of the living God’ … ‘Blessed are you, Simon, son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in Heaven.’” (Matthew 16:15-17)
God has to reveal the true meaning of what Jesus did on the cross:
“For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing … The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.” (1 Corinthians 1:18; 2:14)
Jesus reveals Himself only to those who truly love Him:
“‘Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest [reveal] myself to him.’ Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, ‘Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world?’ Jesus answered him, ‘If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.’” (John 14:21-23)
I’m reminded of a book I once owned. It’s by Samy Tanagho: GLAD NEWS!: God Loves You My Muslim Friend. (affiliate link) If you could get a copy of this I think it will really help you.