As we fast from negativitywe need to replace them with words that we must say. This is a journey that requires the power of the Holy Spirit and sometimes a change in character.
That’s OK. God wants you to mature. He wants you to grow more and more into the image of His son, who was the exact representation of the Father. Our words show us and others what’s in our heart.
The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. James 3:6 (New International Version)
- Careless Words Matthew 12:35-37
- “Loose” Words Proverbs 10:19
- Angry words spoken in haste James 1:19
- Cutting Words Proverbs 12:18
- Discouraging Words Numbers 32:7
- Lies Ephesians 4:25
- Complaining and Arguing Philippians 2:14-16
- Slander Ephesians 4:31
- Obscenity, Foolish Talk, Course Joking Ephesians 5:4
- Foul or Abusive Words Ephesians 4:29
- Words of Dissension Proverbs 16:28
- Gossip Proverbs 20:19
But it’s not a matter of what we don’t say… we’re also told to make sure we do say. We follow the One who had the words of life (John 6:68). So it’s words of life that need to come from our lips:
- Healing Words Proverbs 12:18
- Kind Words Proverbs 12:25
- Gentle Words Proverbs 15:1
- Pleasant Words Proverbs 16:24
- Patient Words Proverbs 25:15
- Thankful Words Ephesians 5:4
- Encouraging Words Ephesians 4:29
- Words of Truth Ephesians 4:25
- Words in Love Ephesians 4:15
- Words of Praise Psalm 30:4
- Words Without Deceit Psalm 32:2
- Words that Sustain the Weary Isaiah 50:4
- Words of Invitation Philemon 1:6
As we fast from negativity, it really is a challenge… but it’s a challenge worth doing. Life can change for you and for those around you.
What’s your experience in controlling your words? What you’ve learned, use to encourage others. You can do that by leaving your comments.